Linksys RE2000 N600 dual-band wireless range extender lets you repeat the signal of the access point or wireless router to extend the Internet connectivity even at hard-to-reach locations, either through a wired or wireless connection.
Linksys RE2000 can be effectively set up through:
• Accessing the web-based setup page
• Utilizing Linksys extender connect software if you have installed it on your computer system
• Using the setup software in the CD affiliated with the extender
• The Wi-Fi Protected Setup (WPS) on the RE2000 extender
Linksys RE2000 has LED in the front that has two functions:
• Power – The light is located on the front panel. It lit up when the RE2000 Linksys is powered ON. The light blinks slowly for every three seconds when the device effectively reset to factory defaults or while a firmware upgrade.
When the Linksys range extender is all set for use, then the light is continuously lit. If in case there is an error, the light flashes quickly for every second.
• Wi-Fi Protected Setup™ – Time when the WPS process is active, the light blinks slowly. When the WPS is undoubtedly successful, then the light is continuously lit and the same, if there is any sort error, the light flashes quickly (every second) for around two minutes.
Wi-Fi Protected Setup™ button – If you have client devices that support WPS like printers, this button configures wireless connection and security after the initial setup procedure.
Power switch – This button powers the extender ON or OFF.
NOTE: This function is only available in the European versions of the RE2000 extender.
Reset button – Press and hold the Reset button for at least eight seconds to reset the Linksys extender to its factory default settings. You have another option of resetting the device from the Administration > Factory Defaults screen in the extender’s web-based setup page.
Power port – This is the place where you can connect the power adapter.
Ethernet port – the Fast Ethernet port act as a wireless bridge to instantly connect any wired Ethernet device to a network. The green LED is lit when an Ethernet device is connected as well as active on this port.
Linksys RE2000 setup
The Linksys RE2000 N600 dual-band wireless range extender can be easily set up using a manual method(without setup CD) or through the Setup Wizard.
Through this article you will be guided on Linksys RE2000 setup using :
- Setup Wizard Manual setup
Before beginning with the setup process, ensure that you have the following requirements:
- The Setup CD that came with your Linksys range extender. If you don’t have an optical drive in your computer device, download the Setup Wizard through the Linksys Support Site.
2. Active 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz network connection
- The RE2000 extender can detect and function either on a 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz network.
3. Wireless Network Name (SSID)
- If you have a dual-band wireless router, ensure that your 5GHz network’s network name is different from the 2.4 GHz network.
- For better connectivity and effective performance, it is asked to use the following securities: Wi-Fi Protected Access (WPA)2/WPA Mixed Mode, WPA2 Personal, and WPA Personal.
QUICK TIP: The SSID and password are your wireless network settings. If you do not have these settings, then contact your router’s manufacturer to provide it.
RE2000 Setup Wizard
So, let’s begin the setup procedure :
Step 1 :
First of all, insert the Setup CD in your optical (CD/DVD) drive. As the AutoPlay window comes, click on the Set up your Linksys Range Extender option.
NOTE: If you have downloaded the Setup Wizard and do not see the AutoPlay window, then move to your computer’s Downloads folder or at the specific directory that you have selected to save your downloads and then double-click on the icon to continue.
Now, when the End-User License Agreement window appears, verify the I have read and accept the License Terms for using this software box, and then click on the Next button to proceed.
Wait until the software is preparing itself to connect with your home router and the Linksys RE2000 N600.
Once the wireless connection has been detected, plug your extender into the power outlet, and then click on Next.
The software will search for your extender and will try and connect to your network.
QUICK TIP: To ensure that your Linksys extender is easily detected, check that it is located within the close range of your router at the point of installation.
As the software connects to your Linksys RE2000, it will look for available networks.
Choose the wireless network name (SSID) of your wireless router and then, click on Next.
QUICK TIP: If your network is hidden, then click on My network is hidden, then enter your wireless network settings. Click on OK then proceed.
Step 6 :
Enter the key in the network’s password if there is any, then click on OK.
NOTE: WPA keys are case sensitive, which means abs is treated differently from ABC, whereas the WEP keys are hexadecimal (0-9 and a-f) characters and are not case sensitive.
The screen will show that your Linksys extender setup is properly set up.
If you want to transfer the extender to your desired location. Follow the instructions and then, click on the Next button.
The software will test your extender’s connection with the wireless network.
A window will appear to inform you that your Linksys range extender has been set up. Click on Close to end the setup process.
NOTE: When you check your network connection, you will not be able to see the extender’s name. Instead, it will pop that you are connected to your wireless router.
Troubleshooting tips to solve the setup problems :
- Try to reset your extender. To reset press and hold the Reset button that is located at the top panel of the Linksys extender for at least eight seconds to restore to its factory default settings. Then, refresh and run the Setup CD again.
- If you still face any issue, download and reinstall the range extender using its latest version setup software.
- If the setup still did not support, then set up the range extender manually.
Linksys RE2000 setup without cd (manual setup)
Let’s begin the process:
Begin the process by connecting your computer to the Ethernet port of your extender through an Ethernet cable.
As shown in the image given below ⬇️
Now plug your extender to the power socket. Ensure that the LED lights are quite stable.
Open a web browser and type the IP Address or “192.168.1.1” in the Address bar.
NOTE: If your computer system has defined a default startup web page on the web browser, the dialog box will automatically appear asking for a username as well as password.
Next, you will see a window prompting for a username and password. Leave the User Namespace blank and key “admin” in the Password field and then click on Log In.
Next, click on Wireless > Basic Wireless Settings.
Then set the radio button to Manual and type your router’s Network Name (SSID).
At the Wireless Security area, choose the security settings that will match with your router’s configuration.
Key in your Passphrase, then click on Save Settings.
WPA2/WPA Mixed Mode
WPA Personal or WPA2 Personal
QUICK TIP: For efficient and effective Wireless-N performance, it is suggested to choose WPA/WPA2 wireless security on your wireless router and Linksys extender.
Unplug the cables of your router and the extender for at least 30 seconds. Then plug in your router first. Wait till all the LED lights to be stable and then plug in RE2000 Linksys.
Your Linksys extender now must be synchronized with your home router.
QUICK TIP: To ensure that your Linksys RE2000 N600 dual-band wireless range extender is successfully installed, look to your router’s DHCP table and check if the extender is listed there along with its IP Address.
Ping, the Linksys RE2000, using a wireless computing device and check if you can get replies from it.
What default IP address, username, and password for the RE2000
The default IP address for the RE2000 Linksys Wi-Fi extender is 192.168.1.1, and the username is blank, and the password is “admin.”
NOTE: At that point, when the RE2000 is already connected with your home router, the wireless router will automatically allot a unique IP address so that an IP address conflict will not occur.
How to perform Linksys RE2000 reset
Resetting the Linksys wireless range extender will move it to its factory default settings. You will need to perform this resetting if you face either of the following problems:
- You are facing intermittent connection while working with the range extender.
- You are manually setting the Linksys range extender after a vail attempt to utilize the setup software.
- You are not able to access the web-based setup page of your range extender.
- The extender’s light is either not solid or blinking after performing a power-cycle.
QUICK TIP: Before beginning the resetting of the range extender, you may make a backup of the device’s configuration settings.
Follow these steps given below to learn the process of configuration:
Access the web-based setup page of the Linksys wireless range extender.
Under the Management sub-tab, click the Backup Configurations button that is under the Management sub-tabthen click on Save Settings.
NOTE: Before performing the steps given below, ensure that your device is turned ON.
There are two methods to reset your Linksys range extender to its factory default settings.
- Press the Reset button on the device
- Reset through the web-based setup page
- Pressing the Reset button on the device
The place of the Linksys extender reset button will change according to its model. Press and hold the Linksys RE2000 Reset button for at least 8 seconds. Powercycle your device to mark the reset process.
Reset through the web-based setup page
Open a web browser of your mobile phone or computer and then open the web-based setup page of the Linksys extender.
Select Factory Defaults that is under Administration.
Then click on the Restore Factory Defaults button.
To mark the procedure, unplug the Linksys extender from the power socket and turn it OFF for at least 30 seconds. Then again, plug the device back in.
QUICK TIP: If you have made a configuration backup before resetting the Linksys RE2000 expander to factory default settings, click on the Restore Configurations button under the Management sub-tab and then click on Save Settings.
Linksys RE2000 Firmware
Exactly same as routers, Linksys range extenders also have firmware updates that are used to fix some errors that you might face while using the device.
The new firmware may gift us certain enhancements to the functions of the range extender and may be able to reload the device to avoid as well as remove dropping or poor connection.
Before proceeding with the firmware upgrade, make sure that you have done the following requirements thoroughly:
- First of all, download the latest and smartest firmware for your range extender from the Linksys Support Site.
- Make sure that you have download and save the file to the computer, which you will utilize to update the Linksys range extender’s firmware.
NOTE: Once you have downloaded the firmware, you are required to load the file into your device to improve its performance.
The process to update the Linksys RE2000 firmware.
Open the web-based setup page, click the Administration tab after that click on Firmware Upgrade sub-tab.
Linksys RE2000 firmware to fix up all the errors
Click on the Browse button.
Now, select the firmware (.bin) file that you have downloaded earlier and then click on Open.
Click on Start Upgrade.
The progress of the upgrade process will be shown on the same page. To avoid any confusion with the range extender, do not disturb the upgrade process.
As the upgrade has been completed, click Continue when prompted.
Your Linksys RE2000 range extender is now upgraded to its latest firmware version.
Linksys RE2000 reviews
With a 3.1 star rating, this device has pros and cons, consider these before making purchasing decisions. Let’s look to at Linksys RE2000 reviews:
ü Efficiently increased the signal strength
ü Extremely easy to setup
ü Great wireless coverage
ü Instructions are very easy to follow
❌ Complex security settings
❌ Continuous signal drops out
❌ Unreachable to remote areas
❌ Problems with dual-band connection
You can take an informative tour to Linksys RE2000 manual and search for the effective and best-detailed solution to all your irritating internet and Linksys RE2000 related problems.
If then too, your problem is not resolved, then you can directly contact to the official website of Linksys RE2000 wireless range extender as we don’t provide any technical help through this article.
Remove all dead spots and helps us in enjoying internet spots.