Linksys Extender Setup is extremely easy and if you want to know about it so yes! You have landed on the right page.
Linksys Extenders are one of the best solutions to resolve your weak wifi signal strength problems at home or workplace.
Here, you will know about every single step of setting any model ( Linksys RE7000 Ac1200, Linksys RE6800 AC1750, etc.) of the Extender properly.
- Linksys Extender Setup – requirements
- How to reset Linksys Extender?
- How to access Extender after Linksys Extender Setup?
- How To Re-configure Linksys Extender
- Power light description Of Linksys Extender
Linksys Extender Setup – requirements
Linksys range extender repeats the signal of the home router or access point and offers the connection even in remote areas.
To perform the Linksys Extender Setup manually, the credentials are:
- The Linksys extender must be turned ON.
- Note the existing home router’s wireless settings that is the network name, password or security key, and wireless channel.
- Restore the factory default settings on the Extender.
- You must access a working internet connection.
So these were some necessary things to keep in mind before setting up any wifi extender whether it is Linksys RE6700 Ac1200, Linksys RE6500H AC1200 Dual-band range extender.
Now, let’s know about Linksys Extender Setup. There are mainly two methods for Linksys Extender Setup process: MANUAL and WPS. You can use any of the methods that you find simple and effective.
This portion will teach you about how to perform Linksys Extender Setup manually.
Before you start, ensure that you’ve met the following requirements.
1. Identify the wireless router settings that are:
- Network name (SSID)
- Wireless channel
- Wireless password
2. Reset your Extender – Press and hold the Reset switch that is on the top of your Extender for at least five seconds or till the LED starts flashing to restore to its factory default settings.
First of all, connect the computer system to the Ethernet port of the range extender through an Ethernet cord.
Now, plug your Linksys extender to the power socket. Ensure that the LED lights are adequately lit and stable.
Next, open an internet browser and then type your home router’s IP Address that is “192.168.1.1” in the Address field.
NOTE: If your computer system has defined a default startup web page on the internet browser, the dialogue box will appear asking for a username, as well as, password.
Now, you will be prompted with a window that will ask for a username and password. Leave the Username of the Linksys extender blank and enter “admin” as a password in the Password field then, click on Log In.
Now, click on Wireless > Basic Wireless Settings.
Now, set the radio button to Manual and then type the wireless router’s Network Name in the field given.
Now, on the Wireless Security section, choose the security settings that will match the home router’s configuration.
Now, enter the Passphrase andthen tap on Save Settings.
QUICK TIP: For optimum performance, it is suggested to utilize WPA/WPA2 security on the home router and Linksys extender.
Finally, unplug the power cables of your home router and the Extender for at least 30 seconds.
Plug the cable in your router first. Wait for all the lights to be lit and stable and then finally plug in your Linksys range extender.
Congratulations!! Linksys Extender Setup through the manual method is successful.
It is for all models of Linksys extender whether it is Linksys RE3000W N300, Linksys Max-Stream AC1200, or Linksys RE6350.
Now let us know about Linksys Extender Setup – WPS Method.
You might be wondering, what is wifi Protected Setup (WPS)?
So, WPS is a security standard for a network that is quite helpful in forming steady connections between your Extender, as well as wireless devices.
There are two methods Linksys Extender Setup using WPS.
You can try it by using the physical WPS button that is located on your Extender, or you can log in to the web-based extender.linksys.Setup page and then select one of the options.
(a) Through WPS Button
Follow the instructions given below for Linksys Extender Setup through WPS button:
- Firstly insert your wireless range extender into an electrical outlet.
- Now, hold the WPS button on the Linksys extender.
- Now, verify the WPS LED on the device as it determines the status of the Linksys Extender Setup network.
- If in case, the power LED on the Extender become visible, then it means that your Extender is configuring with your home router.
- After a few minutes, the LED lights will turn solid green.
- It determines that the Linksys Range Extender setup process is completed.
Note: If you have a dual-band Linksys wifi range extender, then follow the same steps once more.
(b) Through Web-Based WPS Button
It offers us three options that are: WPS button, WPS PIN and through the wireless router’s PIN.
1. WPS Button
First of all, log in to the Linksys range extender and then tap on the Wireless > WPS button.
Then, press the WPS button located on the device, to login with, the Linksys Extender Setup process.
Then, tap on the Enable option that is next to the WPS button.
2. Through WPS PIN
Your device has a WPS PIN, input the number in the second field of the Linksys setup web-based page.
3. Using the Router’s PIN
If in case, your client device wants the wireless router’s PIN, type that number in the third field of the extender.linksys.Setup page.
As the light stays continuously lit, it means that the Linksys Extender Setup through WPS has been finished.
If in case you come across any problem while Linksys Extender Setup then reset your Extender to its default factory settings and then try again. Or don’t hesitate in taking help from the experts to solve your problems in one go.
You can also give a look to Linksys Extender manual for the same. There are manuals of all models of Linksys extender( Linksys AC4400, RE9000, RE6800 ).
Checking Extender’s connectivity after Linksys Extender Setup
Once you are completed with the setup, you can check the Extender’s connectivity with the help of ping command of the command prompt.
Before checking the connectivity, ensure that you have executed each setup instruction properly in the exact order as it is provided above. Then, check the network connectivity status by following these simple and easy steps:
- Search for command prompt on your home device.
- Once the command prompt opens, enter the IP address of the extender and then press “Enter”.
- If it shows data transmissions, your Linksys smart wifi setup is successful. CONGRATULATIONS.
- However, unfortunately, if it highlights “disconnected” or “no data transmissions” then it is possible that the router’s firmware is obsoleted.
- To update your Extender’s firmware, continue your reading.
Steps for Upgrading Firmware of Extender
Actually, what is firmware?
Firmware is the software on which your Linksys extender operates and function. The proper extender functionality remains incomplete, till the Extender’s firmware is upgraded to the latest version.
By following these steps, you will be able to upgrade your Linksys extender’s firmware:
Let’s begin with the process:
- To successfully start the upgrade process by login to the online Extender’s settings portal.
- The web address of this portal is http//extender.linksys.com.
- Type this address on any web browser and then press enter.
- Enter the Username and password to log in.
- Once you are done with this, go to the administration section.
- You will find the option for a firmware update, inside the administration section.
- Tap on “Firmware Update”, and it will automatically begin with the update procedure.
- Make sure that you don’t interrupt the setup process, to avoid any error as it can corrupt your Linksys extender firmware.
- Updating the firmware fixes bugs (errors) provides new and useful functionality to your Extender and as a result, the performance of the extender increases.
So this is how you can update your Extender’s firmware via extender.linksys.com login page. The new firmware also prevents and resolves intermittent loading, or dropping the wifi connection.
How to reset Linksys Extender?
You need to give 10 seconds to reset your Linksys wireless extender. it is quite familiar that the Extender is disconnected after a point of time in that case you can again reset it by following these few steps:
- Make sure that your Extender is correctly plugged into the wall.
- just next to the Auto-Configuration button, you will find the reset button.
- Press that button for 10 seconds.
- Release that button after 10 seconds so that the Extender should reset to its factory settings.
How to access Extender after Linksys Extender Setup?
Once you had successfully marked a full stop on Linksys Extender Setup process, you may require to access Extender after the setup to manage the settings, manipulate your network name or password, or any other work.
So, here you are provided with the steps to reach the settings portal of your configured Extender:
Follow these steps:
- First of all, turn on your Computer or Laptop.
- Then connect your device to the Extender network either with the help of an Ethernet cable or wirelessly (optional).
- Now, open any available web browser.
- Delete all kind of cache and cookies.
- Key http//extender.linksys.com on the address bar and press the enter key.
- Now you are required to type your Username and password in the prompted box.
- Once you are finished this, click on “log in”.
- Now, you are on the extender.linksys.com login web page. Make any desired setting changes. Once done, click on Save button.
So this is how you have to access your Linksys extender!!
How To Re-configure Linksys Extender
Re-configuration of your Linksys extender is required when you are about to set up your existing Extender with a different network.
Or when you are using a refurbished extender.
Here, you will find the guidelines on how to re-configure your wifi range Extender.
Before executing with the re-configuration process of your wireless Extender, you are required to reset the Extender. So how you have to reset your Extender?
Just give 10 seconds to reset your Linksys wireless range extender. It is quite familiar that the Extender is disconnected again and again in that case you can simply reset it.
You need to follow the few steps that were also mentioned above to reset Linksys extender.
- Be aware that your wireless Extender is correctly plugged into the wall.
- Find the reset button on your Linksys wifi range extender.
- Press and hold that reset button for at least 10 seconds.
- Release that buttonafter 10 seconds so that the Extender should reset to its factory settings.
So now you can continue using your internet service via Linksys wifi extender!!
Once you are finished with the reset process, you can move towards reconfiguration.
Reconfiguration means setting up your Extender to the factory default settings.
- Connect the Extender to a computer or laptop with the help of an Ethernet cable.
- Move to the Extender setup page using any web browser.
- Now, you will encounter the extender.linksys.com login page.
- Enter the Username and password to log in to your Linksys extender.
- Once you have entered then, a dashboard will come into view.
- Click on “manual” setup for smart wifi setupand then start the on-screen instructions.
- Now, select the name of the network that you wish to extend using your Extender.
- Key in the password for the selected network and then click on apply.
It is how you will re-configure your Linksys extender.
Power light description Of Linksys Extender
Linksys Extender is affiliated with a Power light along with an ethernet light. This ethernet light lit up at the point when the Linksys Extender is adequately connected as well as active. The Ethernet light blinks when it is receiving or sending data or information over an ethernet port.
The Power light on the Extender provides the following indications:
- OFF – This means that there is no power on the Linksys extender.
- Blinking Green / Yellow – This indicates, Extender is boosting up, reset to its factory default settings, updating its firmware or another indication could be, WPS connection is in process.
- Solid Green / Yellow – Device is all set to use.
- Solid Orange / Red – This indicates that there is a weak connection with your home router.
- Blinking Orange / Red – The Extender is not in connection with the router or with other networks.
For more information and guidance, you can also look at the Linksys extender manual, and it includes detailed data and information about the range extender. You always contact Linksys Official’s website.